Wonder Lake Sunset — Photo from Wonder Lake Neighbors
Note from the Executive Director
It has been a while since the Chamber has had a Newsletter and I am happy to bring back this wonderful resource to Wonder Lake residents. It is my hope that you will find it informative. This is also an amazing way to network and advertise for you and your business.
Now that school is back in session, the more leisurely days of summer will give way to academic and fall sports activities. While we are getting back into school routines, we want to remind you to slow down and watch out for pedestrians. Take extra care to look out for children in school zones and be mindful of bicyclists. Keeping our Village safe requires the efforts of the entire community but it starts with each individual.
The Chamber is here to promote all things Wonder Lake! If you are a local businessman, we want to help you succeed. If your organization is having a local event we’ll get the word out. If you are a resident, we will keep you informed and help you shop locally to keep your money in our community.
I am starting to compile a list of all of the Wonder Lake Businesses, if you would like to add yours please email or call the Chamber. I know there are a ton of businesses based in Wonder Lake that I would LOVE TO PROMOTE, if I only knew who you were. I truly believe that we should all shop local and shop small!!! I want us to support one another.
We need YOU!!!! The Chamber is only as effective and successful as the people who participate. How does your business survive and grow if no one knows what you do? We hope that you will make the Chamber part of your marketing strategy. Our Mission Statement is “to create value and opportunity for (our) members with the belief that a positive business climate is an integral part of a healthy community.” Consider investing in a Chamber membership.
Finally, I would just like to say, I am honored to be a part of the Wonder Lake Chamber and this AMAZING community! I would appreciate if you would take a moment to give me any feedback, comments or news you might like to share in our Newsletter.
Respectfully, Celeste Fuentes
Dog Training Classes: Alden Kennels Starting September 10th at 6pm, Six week session is $150.00 at Alden Kennels, 6810 Barnard Mill Road, 815-728-0559 or AldensKennels@gmail.com. Call today to reserve your class! See Flyer for more detail or visit their website and Sign Up Online!
Canine and Feline CPR and First Aid Certification Class: September 15th: Internationally Recognized and Approved Classes for Veterinary staff, Animal Professionals and Pet Owners. Hosted by Alden’s Kennels. Download Flyer for more information, and Register on the facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/376707222853934/
Pioneer at the McHenry Moose Lodge Cruise Nite: Tuesday, September 4th 5:30-8:30pm 3535 N. Richmond Road Johnsburg, IL We are honored to be chosen as one charity of choice by the McHenry Moose Lodge 691! We will be handing out 60th Anniversary Swag and clients of Pioneer Center will present the trophy for the best featured show vehicle! Join us as we celebrate 60 years in McHenry County! See Flyer for more details.
Pioneer at Sunburst Corvette Club: Sunday, September 16 8:00am-3:00pm Martin Chevrolet, 5220 Northwest Hwy, Crystal Lake, IL We are honored to be chosen as charity of choice once again by the Sunburst Corvette Club! Come on out and see the cars while supporting our cause!
Knights of Columbus Tootsie Roll Drive: September 21st - 23rd 8:00am-4:00pm Contact 815-759-7129 to volunteer We are so proud to partner with our counties various KOC councils to support their fundraising efforts for Pioneer Center.
For more information on our events and how you can volunteer with Pioneer Center contact: Jordan Debbink Special Events and Volunteer Coordinator email@example.com 815-759-7129.
The Philippine Nightingale Singers are coming to Wonder Lake on September 16th at 2PM, at Christ The King Church, 5006 E Wonder Lake Rd, Wonder Lake, IL 60097. Tickets will be $20 each, see flyer for more details.
Fall Bass Derby: sponsored by the Sportsman Club, Sunday October 7th, Registration 6:00 - 6:30 am. 1:30 pm weigh-in, trophy presentation - Horizontals Center Beach. Contact: Tony Musel - 815-345-8724. Note: One fisherman in boat must be a resident of WL. Visit their website for full details
Merchant Creek Clean up: Join the Nippersink Watershed Assoc. on the third Saturday, 8:00 am to 11:00 am, of each month at Merchant Creek to clear invasive plants. Meet on Wooded Shore Drive. Upcoming dates include September 15th, and October 20th.
• WLWSST Labor Day Weekend Show: Sunday, September 2nd, 4pm, at Wonder Center Beach is the last time you can see the Award Winning Water Ski Show Team show their skills. Visit their website, WLWSST to learn more about the Team. Wonder Center (Center Beach) is a private beach that opens up to the public for scheduled special events.
• Team for the Ages: September 8th, 7-10pm Raue Center, in Crystal Lake. Pro Football Weekly is celebrating 50 years of football coverage in one memorable, star studded night. Join *Pro Football Hall of Famers: Brian Urlacher, "Mean" Joe Greene, Lawrence Taylor, Anthony Munoz, Randy White and Dan Hampton along with emcees Pat Boyle and Dave Kaplan as well as other surprise guests as we celebrate PFW's honorary "Team for the Ages" and "Bears Team for the Ages." Click here for more information and to purchase tickets.
• Brittney Prehn Fundraiser: September 15th, In July, 2018 Brittney Prehn was struck by lightning. On September 15th a fundraiser will be held at Niko's Red Mill Inn, Woodstock from 1 to 6 pm. Asking $10 donation. There will be bands and raffles. Raffle tickets will be 6 for $5.00 and the winners will be announced at 5 p.m. There is also a GOFUND me page to make a monetary donation. For more information please call 815-276-6014.
• MCC Multi-Chamber Mixer:Tuesday, September 25th from 5-7 PM. Learn about the many programs and opportunities at MCC, tour the facility, and lab spaces, enjoy food and refreshment. MCC Cafe/Commons (Building B) 8900 U.S. Hwy 14, Crystal Lake. Download Flyer.
• The McHenry County Farm Stroll: which will be held on Sunday, September 30, 2018 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. is a FREE, family-friendly, self-guided tour of 12 diversified family farms. There is no beginning or end of the tour; just choose the farms you wish to visit and go during the stroll's timeframe. Individual farmers will be selling produce and products and some farms will conduct tours and demonstrations. Download the brochure at www.mchenrycfb.org
• Manufacturing, Trades, and Industry (MTI) Career Expo: Tuesday, October 2 from 6:00-8:00pm in the McHenry HS - East Campus Gymnasium All students who attend may enter to win drawings* for autographed and items donated by Jett’s Heating and Air. All senior students will be able to register for post-secondary tech scholarships sponsored by the McHenry Sunrise Rotary Club! * All students who attend with their parents will get multiple drawing tickets, increasing their chances of winning these wonderful prizes! See Event Flyer for more details.
• The 41st Annual Cider Fest: Begins at 10 a.m. on Sunday, October 7th, at the McHenry County History Museum, 6422 Main St. Union IL, Highlights include Civil War re-enactors from the 36th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, live music, old-fashioned cider making, a blacksmith, a barn-raising demonstration and great eats – courtesy of Fat Tomato, Duke’s Blues-n-BBQ and Kettle Corn Cookery. Apple bakeoff contest. Bake sale goodies, hot cider, books, antique clothing, and white elephant items for sale. The museum, the 1843 Gannon log cabin and 1895 West Harmony one-room school are also open free all day. Free admission. For information, visit www.gothistory.org.
• 33rd Annual Fall Diddley: Saturday, October 13th, 2018, 9am - 5pm Sunday, October 14th, 2018, 9am - 4pm Boone County Fairgrounds Belvidere, Illinois Parking is always free. Admission is $7.00 for ages 12 and over. Tickets are available in advance for groups of 25 or more for $6 each. Contact MHRL for more information. The fairgrounds are located on Illinois Rt. 76 just north of Business Rt. 20 in Belvidere. For additional directions, visit the Fairgrounds Website at: www.boonecountyfair.com
• Haunted Hayride Fundraiser: Sponsored by the WonderLake Ski Team and held at Petersen Park: Oct 12 & 13, 19 & 20, 7PM. Check their website for more details in October
• Autumn Drive: Oct 19-21st. Local farms are offering fall produce like pumpkins, honey, jams, soaps, and vinegars, as well as “tastefully simple” products. Experience tractor rides, petting zoos, hay rides, and even pumpkin and apple launchers. Pick your own apples right from the trees or pumpkins in the fields. Many stops include visiting crafters selling: pottery, jewelry, lawn ornaments, and dozens of other crafts. Some stops are mini craft fairs in themselves. Antique dealers are selling refurbished furniture, trunks, cook books, tools, white elephants, and vintage jewelry. Scattered throughout the drive are garage sales and barn sales where treasures can be found. http://www.autumndrive.net/
• Trick or Treat Hours: The Village of Wonder Lake holds Trick or Treat hours on Halloween, October 31st from 3-8pm. Parents can check out these Safety Tips for a safe Halloween.
• Stuff the Trailer Food Drive: November 3rd, Look for the Ski Team Trailer on the east side by The State Bank, and bring your food donations from 9am-1pm.
2018 tax law is VERY different from any other tax year you have ever experienced! Now is the time to do a tax projection to check that you are on the right tax path. Contact Piwonka, CPA, Inc. today! Krista M. Piwonka, CPA is the founder and owner of Piwonka, CPA, Inc.
Bob Schell at Roberts Exterior Services reminds members and friends that winter will probably come again this year! Roofing issues or replacement should be addressed well before the cold and snow season comes. Bob's company has been installing quality roofs in the Wonder Lake area for 29 years. Call him at 815-653-ROOF for a free quote.
These days, it is near impossible to have a successful business without a website. But more than that, you'll begin to lose customers and revenue when your users find your website difficult to use. It is no longer just about having a website. You need to have a website that is user-friendly. And if mobile users cannot visit your website, it is less likely you will connect with your target audience, and make a sale.
We have been been building beautiful cost-effective websites for 23 years for business, local government and nonprofits of all sizes. Contact Wonderwave Design for more information about creating or updating your website.
Chamber members can use this newsletter to get in touch with the community. If you would like to have something added to our next issue going out in November, please do not hesitate to contact us.
We have an outdoor sign which can be used by Chamber members, clubs, churches and organizations to promote events in Wonder Lake. If interested, please contact the Chamber at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call.
Did you know that the Chamber does ribbon cuttings for business? Let the Chamber Board join you in a photo. This is a wonderful way to advertise your business. Contact the Chamber for more information, 815-728-0682.
Don't forget to check out our Business Spotlight. The Chamber can help you use the power of our website to enhance and grow your business!